Town Clerk/Taxes

Town Clerk’s Office:  (603) 887-3636

SecurityMetrics Credit Card SafeFax: (603) 887-4334

Erin Newnan, Acting Town Clerk/Tax Collector
Barbara Cannon, Deputy Town Clerk

84 Chester Street
Chester, NH 03036

Counter Hours:                                                                           

Monday through Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM
Tuesday Evenings: 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM


****IMPORTANT NOTICE****                                                                                                                                                              The Town Clerk’s office will be closed the morning of April 27th so that we may attend Vital Records training and bring that service back to Chester.  On April 27th only, we will have afternoon hours from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.


 Dog Licensing due no later than April 30th.

golden-retrieverSiberian Husky Puppies2-Cute Dog 1600x1200

The Town Clerk’s office is offering additional hours for dog licensing.  We will be open for dog licensing only  on Thursday, April 28th from 4pm to 7pm. 

On Saturday April 30th we will open from 8am to 12pm for dog licensing only.  Ark Animal Homecare will also be here with their mobile veterinary clinic to offer a dog rabies clinic.  Cost is $20/dog.


Town Elections:   Tuesday, May 10th at MPR, 7:00am to 7:00pm                                                                                             Come out and cast your vote for our local officials.  We are accepting new registrations and absentee ballot requests at the Town Clerk’s office.

2016 Town Elections Candidate List

NH Voter Registration Form-Chester

Update Voter Registration

Town Election Absentee Ballot Request

Town Meeting:   Saturday, May 14th at MPR, starting at 9:00am.


This office collects property taxes, current use tax, timber tax, gravel tax and places municipal liens on personal property. This office also registers your car, registers you to vote (with the exception of 10 days before an election), licenses your dog, provides you with your marriage license, fill and dredge permits, provides certified copies of marriage, births and deaths. Keeps all minutes for all Boards in the Town of Chester. Provides absentee ballots for you, collects parking tickets, etc.

As of February 1st, 2010, the Town Clerk’s office can take credit/debit cards for car registrations, dog licenses, parking tickets and marriage licenses.  The cards we honor are:  VISA, Master Card, American Express, JCB, and Discover.  We are pleased to provide you with the following information.  As of September 26, 2013, residents may click on the following logo to see our Site Certification Certificate for your safety and security while using your credit/debit cards.


Where there is no bank that is located in Town, this Office does not accept hundred dollar bills for Car Registrations or Taxes, unless you have the exact amount due.


Chair, Supervisors of the Checklist:  Dianna Charron, (603) 887-4617

Voter Registration:    You may register to vote at the Town Clerk’s Office during regular business hours with the exception of 10 days before an election.

The date for the Presidential Primary has been set for Tuesday, February 9, 2016.

Now is the time for you to register to vote or request an absentee ballot.  Make your vote count!

Absentee Ballot Application 2016 OFFICIAL

Get answers to your questions about voting in New Hampshire and how to request an absentee ballot.  Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Requests

 Voting Procedures



Taxes are due July 1 and December 1.

Please click on the following for Instructions for online Tax Payment or Information Lookup .  Thank you.

Statement of Acct
For your convenience, you may pay your taxes online by using the following link:

Chester e-reg taxes online payment option




Vehicle Registration Forms and Information:


E-Reg: Electronic Vehicle Registration System

Participation Sign up Link – click here
Poll Regarding Other E-Services: click here. How can we better serve your needs? E-Reg Privacy Policy – click here. EB2GOV and its participating communities are committed to safeguarding your privacy online.

Marriage License:

For a marriage license you will need to bring in proof of age, if this is second or etc. marriage you will need to bring a sealed copy of a divorce decree or a certified copy of a death certificate, whichever applies. A marriage license is $50.00, it’s good for 90 days.  Both applicants must apply together to start the paper work and arrive at the Town Clerk’s Office one (1) hour before it closes in order to fill out the license.

Dog License: Dog License Application

All dogs must be licensed by April 30th each year in order to avoid the added cost of a Civil Forfeiture in the amount of $25.00 plus the license and late fees, per NH RSA 466:13. Dogs may be registered in-person at the Town Clerk/Tax Collector’s Office or by mail.   (Click the link above to download an application.)  Send vaccination certificate, spayed/neutering certificate, check for the correct amount and a self-addressed envelope to my office. Unaltered males or females are $9.00, spayed and neutered dogs are $6.50 and seniors (65 or older) the first dog is $2.00, then the regular fee after that.

E-Reg:  Electronic Dog License Registration System

(Click on the link below to register your dog electronically, please be sure to start with the numbers zero, zero, (“00”) for all tag numbers.) E-reg dog licensing – Town of Chester

All Vital Records:

On vital records, all requests by mail require a $15.00 payment check for the first vital record and $10.00 for each duplicate copy. Please send a check and the information on your request; and we will search the records and mail you back the certified copy of the event.  Applications may be downloaded and printed for your convenience by clicking on the appropriate link below: Application for a Copy of a Marriage License Application for a Copy of a Birth Certificate Application for a Copy of a Death Certificate Please click on the following link for requests by credit cards or ACH: Fill & Dredge Permit: On a fill & dredge you need to bring in the completed application per the application sheet. You will also need a check for $10.00 made out to the Town of Chester and you must have the envelope that goes to the State, weighed and have the correct certified postage.