Boat Registration

You must present your Driver’s License for all in person DMV transactions per State requirements.

The following boats must be registered if in New Hampshire waters:

  1. Any boat (homemade or factory produced) with a motor, including canoes with electric motors.
  2. Sailboats 12 feet in length or more, even without an engine.
  3. Boats documented with the U.S. Coast Guard and that are using New Hampshire waters.
  4. Any boat being used in New Hampshire more than 50% of the time. (A NH address is not needed to register a boat.)
  5. Any boat that is in New Hampshire waters for more than 30 consecutive days.

First Time Registration of a New or “New to You” Boat

You must provide proof of ownership to register a boat in any of the following forms:

  1. Properly executed bill of sale, OR
  2. A title, OR a certificate of origin, OR a manufacturer’s statement of origin, OR
  3. A registration signed over to the new owner by the previous owner

Your boat must have a Hull Identification Number (HIN).  Any boats manufactured after 1972 with a short or no HIN, homemade boats, and boats that do not have a compliant HIN (should be 12 digits) must be inspected only by a NH marine patrol officer or a NH law enforcement officer. You may print a Verification of Vessel Identification RDMV690 for the officer to complete.

To transfer a registration to another boat:
  • The primary owner of the old boat and the primary owner of the new boat must be the same.
  • You must have the original current registration for the boat you are transferring from. Copies will not be accepted. This gets surrendered at the time of the transfer.
  • You must have the proper proof of ownership for the new boat.
To renew your boat registration, you must have one of the following:
  • The previous boat registration, OR
  • The mail-in renewal notice mailed to you by the State.

Renewals may be done in person by the owner’s family members. No permission form is needed.

  • Online boat registration renewals are not permitted by the State at this time.
  • We can accept $100 bills ONLY if it is part of the exact amount due. We do not keep sufficient change to break a $100 bill for DMV and Tax Payment transactions.